Saturday, May 15, 2010

Revisions, revisions!!

Some of you may remember my attempt last year to paint a landscape in acylics. It was based on a photo of some haybales in the field behind our house. I was never really happy with how it turned out, and it sat in my studio all winter mocking me.

I'm taking a vacation from work this week, a much needed break from stress. I decided my first venture would be to tackle a revision of this painting.

I decided the treeline was pretty boring so I fixed that up by bringing the sky down some into the trees and breaking them up a bit. I also added more farm buildings and a couple of larger trees. A suggestion I had received was to add more texture to the foreground field, so I attempted that, but I'm not sure how successful I was!

Here is the before:



And the after:

I'd really appreciate your feedback on this one...is there too much or not enough texture in the field. Does it need to look more realistic?

2 comments:

  1. I think your revisions are very successful - there is "life" now - I like the lighter detailing in the foreground and the sunlight added between and behind the haybales. The trees on the horizon are also much stronger - over-all you have changed an adequate painting into a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb, I really appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete